Traveling to Tehran
Imam Khomeini International Airport (IATA: IKA ICAO: OIIE), located 55km southwest of the city center, is the international airport in Tehran. The domestic airport is called Mehrabad, located inside the city. If you need a connecting flight inside Iran, you will need to travel between the two airports which may take between 40 minutes to 2 hours depending on the traffic.
There are direct flights to/from numerous European, African, Middle Eastern, and Asian cities; however, there are no direct flights to/from North America or Australia. Iran Air is the national carrier of Iran.
To travel between the city center and the airport:
- Buses operate between the airport and Azadi Square, with stops at the Haram-e-Motahhar Metro Station on Line 1 (Red), from which you can take the metro to the city center. The bus costs 20,000 Rials. Note: in October 2015 these buses were apparently discontinued. Taxis are the only method to reach the center from the airport. The metro operates from 5:30 to 23:00.
- Taxis cost a fixed rate of 600,000 Rials for a local Samand car or 650,000 Rials for a Toyota (both as of August 2015). Drivers will accept US Dollars. The drive to/from the city center takes 45 minutes without traffic, but can take upwards of 90 minutes with traffic. There is a booth organizing taxis right outside the arrivals hall. You can also bargain with taxis dropping off passengers at the arrivals hall.
- Tehran’s Mehrabad airport (IATA: THR ICAO: OIII) is an older airport that is used for domestic and cargo flights. From the former US Embassy site, you can expect a metered taxi ride to cost about 250,000 IRR (August 2015). Be careful to bring exact change as many drivers will not give you change.
Despite the warnings in some travel guides, there is no exit fee for foreign travelers, neither in Mehrabad nor in Imam Khomeini Airport. The exit fee applies to foreign travelers only when leaving Iran on land or by sea.
If traveling within Iran, train tickets should be bought at the station, from travel agencies, or on the website of the Raja passenger train company.
There is a train that runs between Tehran and either Ankara (€45) or Istanbul (€50). The train departs from Istanbul every Wednesday night at 23:55, and departs from Ankara on Thursday morning at 10:25, arriving in Tehran on Friday evening at 20:20 (although delays are frequent). The service requires a 4-hour ferry ride and a change of trains at Lake Van. The trains are comfortable and clean and reasonably priced food is available.
Traffic is very congested but has improved with the completion of several new tunnels and highways (referred to as Bozorgrah or Otoban in Persian language) across the city. You can drive in from Turkey fairly easily as well as from the Southern parts of Iran. Driving is often dangerous and seat belts should be worn at all times.
Almost every city and far-flung village in Iran has bus services to Tehran, as evidenced by the hundreds of buses that pour in and out of the capital each day. Most buses arrive to, or depart from one of four major bus terminals:
- The Western bus terminal (Terminal-e-gharb) is the biggest, busiest and best equipped of Tehran’s terminals. Most international buses (e.g. Armenia), as well as those heading to the Caspian Sea region and destinations west of Tehran originate and terminate here. The terminal is a ten minute walk north-west from Azadi Square, and a few minutes walk from the Tehran (Sadaghieh) metro station.
- The Eastern bus terminal (Terminal-e-shargh), seven km north-east of Emam Hossein square, handles buses to/from Khorasan province, as well a small number of services to the north.
- The Southern bus terminal (Terminal-e-jonoob) is well equipped and handles buses headed to and from destinations south of Tehran. It is 2 km east of Tehran’s main train station and easily accessible via the dedicated Terminal-e-Jonoob metro stop.
- The Beihaghi bus terminal (Terminal-e-beihaghi) is located beside Arzhantin Square, around 1 km west of the Mossallah metro stop. The station has services to /from most major destinations in Iran including Mashhad, Esfahan, Rasht, Shiraz, Tabriz and Yazd.
AVECEN Co. will provide you with a contact person when your application is accepted. This person will give support to you and help you throughout your trip to Iran. They will be responsible for facilitation of your accommodation procedures. You will have access to useful information on IPHS and guidance on the many beautiful sights of Tehran.
Participants do not need to directly apply for a visa to Iran. Student visas will be obtained for participants by the registration team. Registration data will be sent to Iran’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs in order to facilitate the process; in case any problems arise, the issue will be followed up by the Iranian Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
For more about Tehran’s Attractions click HERE >> http://wikitravel.org/en/Tehran
“The National Museum of Medical Sciences History of Iran” was planned by TUMS in 1998, and the Museum was inaugurated in 2001, in a joint project with the Iran Cultural Heritage Organization. A building of about 2000 square meters, built in Tehran in the Qajar Era, houses the Museum. The different rooms inside “The National Museum of Medical Sciences History of Iran” are flexible and can be changed as needed, which makes it an ideal place to run IPHS2017 and its educational programs.
This place is located close to the city center, which makes it easy for participants to access.
Address: The National Museum of Medical Sciences History of Iran, Northern campus of Tehran University, 15th St, Northern Kargar St, Northern Amir Abad, Tehran, Iran
Phone No: +98-21-88632857
The IPHS2017 official accommodation site will be the dormitory of Tehran University of Medical Sciences (Kooy-e Daneshgah), North Kargar St. It is close to the Tehran University of Medical Sciences campus.
It is located at a 1-KM distance from the main venue, and takes about 10 minutes to reach on foot.
Address: Kooy-e Daneshgah, 16th St, Northern Kargar St, Northern Amir Abad, Tehran, Iran
Postal code: 1439957181